Aek Sipangolu is the name of a sacred waterfall at Bakkara whose springs come from the rocks on the slopes of the mountains. It is in Simangulampe Village, Baktiraja Subdistrict, Humbahas, which is 6.5 hours from Medan and 1 hour from the nearest airport. To see it on the map, click here.
The waterfall is about 100 meters (300ft) high and the water is clear and refreshing. The waterfall is located in a lush green forest and the surrounding area is also very beautiful.
Here are some of the things that are special about Aek Sipangolu:
- The beautiful scenery: Aek Sipangolu is a beautiful waterfall located in a lush green forest. The water is clear and refreshing and the surrounding area is also very beautiful.
- The healing properties: Aek Sipangolu is said to have healing properties. Many people come to bathe in the water to cure various diseases.
- The historical significance: Aek Sipangolu is a historically significant place. It is said to have been created by Raja Sisingamangaraja XII, a national hero who fought against the Dutch colonial government.
What to Enjoy
Here are some things you can enjoy at Aek Sipangolu:
- Swim in the pool at the bottom of the waterfall: The pool at the bottom of the waterfall is a great place to swim and cool off. The water is cold and clear, and the rocks provide a natural waterslide.
- Take a walk through the forest: The waterfall is located in a lush green forest. You can take a walk through the forest and enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Have a picnic: There is a picnic area near the waterfall, where you can have a picnic lunch or dinner.
- Enjoy the spiritual atmosphere: Aek Sipangolu is a sacred place for the Pakpaknese people. You can enjoy the spiritual atmosphere by meditating or praying near the waterfall.
If you are looking for a refreshing and beautiful place to visit, then Aek Sipangolu is a great option.
What to Expect
You can swim but are expected to dress modestly (no bikini) since this is considered a ritual location. The entrance is free, but you are supposed to tip the guards on departure. The road in front of the waterfall is quite busy with passing cars and motorcycles during peak seasons, so make sure you are careful when you cross it.
Here are some tips for visiting Aek Sipangolu:
- Visit during the dry season: The dry season in North Sumatra is from June to September. It is best to visit Aek Sipangolu during this time as the waterfall will be flowing more strongly and the water will be clearer.
- Wear comfortable shoes: The paths leading to the waterfall can be slippery, so it is important to wear comfortable shoes.
- Be careful when swimming: The water at the bottom of the waterfall can be deep, so it is important to be careful when swimming.
- Be respectful of the environment: Aek Sipangolu is a natural place, so it is important to be respectful of the environment by not littering or disturbing wildlife.
Next point of interest: