Berastagi is a small farming town in Karo. Berastagi means “city of rice”. The town is famous for fruit, vegetables, and tourism. Flanked by two active volcanoes namely Mount Sinabung and Mount Sibayak and at an altitude of 1,300 meters (4,265 ft) above sea level, Berastagi is one of the coolest towns in Indonesia. It is about 2 hours from Medan. To see it on the map, click here.
Berastagi has been a dream destination for visitors landing in Medan and Lake Toba. The town is also famous among local tourists. Why? There are 5 reasons for that.
- First, the town has elevated panoramic views and weather, in addition to fruit shopping. Hills, mountains, valleys, and agricultural fields dominate the landscape, offering the sense of living deeply in nature.
- Second, it is the crossroad to access various attractions in Karo, including the two mountains and several theme parks such as Lumbini Nature Park and Mikie Funland.
- Third, the town has a lot of heritage and cultural attractions to see. Traditional life in certain parts of the town is similar to that in Dokan village.
- Fourth, the location is rich in rainforest and hills. If you are from the Middle East you will find Berastagi a sensational tour due to its contrasting look compared to your homeland.
What to Enjoy
Berastagi is a mountain town in North Sumatra, Indonesia. It is known for its cool climate, beautiful scenery, and delicious fruits. Here are some things you can enjoy in Berastagi:
- Visit the fruit market. Berastagi is famous for its fruits, especially its passion fruit. The fruit market is a great place to buy fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as souvenirs.
- Hike up Mount Sibayak. Mount Sibayak is an active volcano that offers stunning views of the surrounding area. The hike to the summit is challenging but rewarding.
- Visit the hot springs. Berastagi has several hot springs, which are a great way to relax and soak away your cares.
- Explore the Batak villages. The surrounding villages are home to the Batak people, who have a unique culture and heritage. You can visit traditional Batak houses and learn about their way of life.
- Go white water rafting. There are several white water rafting companies in Berastagi that offer exciting rafting trips on the nearby rivers.
- Visit the Berastagi Adventure Park. The Berastagi Adventure Park is a great place for families with children. It has a variety of activities, including go-karting, paintball, and a water park.
These are just a few of the many things you can enjoy in Berastagi. With its beautiful scenery, delicious food, and rich culture, Berastagi is a great place to spend a few days exploring.
What to Expect
Berastagi is not by the lake, but miles away. Do not expect a lake experience there. Rather, expect the beauty of the rainforest, quality agriculture, and a deeper look into the Karo Batak culture.
Next point of interest: