Holbung Hill is a hilly terrain in the village of Janji Martahan, Samosir, on the southwest shore of Lake Toba. The location is famous for giving visitors a different view of the lake and its nice weather. There are many angles to enjoy the lake, and Holbung Hill is one of them. The location is about 3 hours from the nearest airport. To see it on the map, click here.
Holbung Hill offers one of the best panoramic views of Lake Toba. For example, Mount Pusuk Buhit looks beautifully majestic from this spot. If you get there when the weather is clear, you will find the sky to look like a green abstract painting. There is also a crack in the hill that glorifies its artistic look. Trekking uphill makes the trip even more exciting since it comes with the view of green grass along the way.
But what makes Holbung Hill special? Residents call it Love Hill (Bukit Cinta) because there is a view of the lake edge that resembles the shape of the heart, as can be seen in the image below.
Then, there is a park on Holbung Hill that further portrays its identity.
Many couples use the spot for their special moments like taking some pictures and proposing for engagements. They also visit Holbung Hill for pre-wedding pictures. Similarly, there are groups who come to this place for camping, staying there for a night or two.
What to Enjoy
Here are some things you can enjoy at Holbung Hill:
- Enjoy the panoramic view of Lake Toba. Holbung Hill is located on a cliff overlooking Lake Toba, so you can enjoy stunning views of the lake and the surrounding mountains.
- Go hiking. There are several hiking trails in the area, ranging from easy to challenging.
- Visit the local village. There is a small village located near Holbung Hill. You can visit the village and learn about the local culture.
- Take a boat ride. You can take a boat ride on Lake Toba and enjoy the scenery.
- Have a picnic. There is a picnic area at Holbung Hill. You can have a picnic and enjoy the view.
What to Expect
Here are some tips when camping at Holbung Hill:
- Bring a tent. You will need a tent to sleep in.
- Bring sleeping bags. You will need sleeping bags to stay warm at night.
- Bring a first-aid kit. It is always a good idea to bring a first-aid kit when camping.
- Be prepared for the weather. The weather can change quickly in the mountains, so it is important to be prepared for anything.
- Leave no trace. When you are camping, it is important to leave no trace of your presence. This means packing out all of your trash and disposing of it properly.
- You can get there by car or motorbike.
- There is a small parking area at the base of the hill.
- There are no facilities on the hill, so you will need to bring your own food and water.
- Be respectful of the local culture. Holbung Hill is a sacred place for many people, so it is important to be respectful of the local culture.
According to visitors who have been there, it is advisable to set up a tent from morning until noon around 2 o’clock because after that time the wind will get stronger and can be troublesome.
Next point of interest: