Maimun Palace is a legacy of the famous Deli Kingdom and an icon of Medan. Sultan Makmun Al Rasyid Perkasa Alamsyah built it in 1888. The cultural site has an area of 2,772 square meters (30,000 sq ft) and 30 rooms. To see it on the map, click here.
Maimun Palace is special for a number of reasons:
- Its unique architecture: Maimun Palace is a blend of Malay, European, and Islamic architectural styles. It is one of the most distinctive buildings in Medan and is a popular tourist destination.
- Its rich history: Maimun Palace was built in the early 1900s by Sultan Maimun Al Rasyid Perkasa Alamsyah, the 12th Sultan of Deli. It was the Sultan’s official residence and is now a museum.
- Its cultural significance: Maimun Palace is a symbol of the Malay culture and heritage of Medan. It is often used for cultural events and performances.
- The yellow color: Maimun Palace is known for its bright yellow exterior. The color is said to be a symbol of the Sultan’s wealth and power.
- The minarets: Maimun Palace has two minarets that are topped with golden domes. The minarets are a reminder of the Sultan’s Islamic faith.
- The courtyard: The courtyard of Maimun Palace is a beautiful and peaceful place. It is surrounded by lush gardens and fountains.
- The interior: The interior of Maimun Palace is just as impressive as the exterior. The palace is decorated with intricate carvings and paintings.
What to Enjoy
Here are activities you can enjoy at Maimun Palace:
- Visit the museum: The museum inside Maimun Palace tells the story of the palace and the Sultan of Deli. It is a great place to learn more about the history and culture of Medan.
- See the throne room: The throne room is one of the most impressive rooms in the palace. It is decorated with intricate carvings and paintings.
- Visit the harem: The harem was the Sultan’s private quarters. It is now open to the public and can be visited on a guided tour.
- See the traditional Malay costumes: The palace has a collection of traditional Malay costumes that are on display. You can also rent these costumes and take photos in them.
- Enjoy a cultural performance: Maimun Palace is often used for cultural events and performances. Be sure to check the schedule to see if there is anything happening during your visit.
What to Expect
You can visit this attraction every day, from Monday to Sunday. The entrance fee is Rp 5,000 per person. The museum performs traditional Malay music live sometimes.
Here are some tips for visiting Maimun Palace:
- Plan your visit ahead of time. The palace is open from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, but it is best to arrive early to avoid the crowds.
- Dress appropriately. The palace is a religious site, so it is important to dress modestly. This means covering your shoulders and knees.
- Be respectful of the palace and its grounds. Do not touch or vandalize anything.
- Take your time and enjoy the experience. Maimun Palace is a beautiful and historic place. Take your time to explore the palace and learn about its history and culture.
- If you are visiting the palace with children, there is a small playground on the grounds.
- There is a cafe on the grounds of the palace where you can purchase snacks and drinks.
- The palace is located in the heart of Medan, so it is easy to get to by public transportation or taxi.
- If you are interested in learning more about the history and culture of Maimun Palace, you can hire a tour guide.
- The palace is a popular tourist destination, so it is best to avoid visiting on weekends and holidays.
Next point of interest: