Tanjung Unta or Camel Cape is a small peninsula that looks like a resting camel on the town of Tigaras (1.5 hours north-west of Parapat), or 5 hours from Medan. It is a virgin area of thin pine forest. To see it on the map, click here.
This place features a bay with a peaceful natural scenery surrounded by forest. Pine trees are lush in this area. The trees, the cape shape, and the green lake water will make you amazed. From this place, visitors can also see the forest around Lake Toba. Camel Cape is perfect for family vacations.
There are various activities you can do there. If you like camping, some areas near the peninsula are suitable for camping. You can also fish or just go around in the water using a boat. Canoeing (boating) and water skiing are also abundantly available for visitors. And all of the above comes of course with a green and beautiful landscape on the horizon.
What to Enjoy
Here are some of the things you can enjoy at Tanjung Unta:
- Take in the stunning views. Tanjung Unta offers stunning views of Lake Toba and the surrounding mountains. You can see the camel-shaped peninsula from the shore, or you can hike to the top of the hill for even more impressive views.
- Have a picnic. Tanjung Unta is a great place to have a picnic. There are several shady spots where you can sit and enjoy your lunch or dinner while taking in the views.
- Go for a hike. There are a few short hiking trails in the area that lead to different viewpoints. Hiking is a great way to get some exercise and enjoy the scenery.
What to Expect
The road to the area is paved but broken in some places. Rent a motorbike if you wish to see around after you have settled. During the dry season, many irresponsible land burners reduce the beauty of this volcanic lake.
Here are some tips on how to get to Tanjung Unta:
- By car: The best way to get to Tanjung Unta is by car. The drive from Medan, the capital of North Sumatra, takes about 3-4 hours. The road to Tanjung Unta is in good condition, but it can be winding and mountainous.
- By tour: There are a number of tour operators that offer day trips to Tanjung Unta from Medan. This is a good option if you don’t want to worry about driving or taking public transportation.
Here are some additional tips:
- Start early in the morning. The journey to Tanjung Unta can be long, so it is best to start early in the morning to avoid the heat of the day.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good condition. The road to Tanjung Unta can be winding and mountainous, so it is important to make sure your vehicle is in good condition before you start your journey.
- Bring water and snacks. There are a few small shops in Tanjung Unta, but it is always a good idea to bring your own water and snacks, especially if you are planning on doing any hiking.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Tanjung Unta is a relatively large and hilly area, so it is important to be aware of your surroundings, especially when hiking or walking alone.
Next interest point: