Tarutung (also known as Rura Silindung) is a flat valley and the center of the government of North Tapanuli. The town is famous for its hot springs and panoramic views. It is about 1 hour from the nearest airport. To see it on the map, click here.
Besides being the capital city of North Tapanuli, Tarutung is famous for its rich variety of customs, cultures, and culinary delights. In particular, Tarutung is home to the following attractions that you can visit in one trip:
What to Enjoy
Here are some things you can enjoy in Tarutung:
- Learn about the Batak culture. Tarutung is a traditional Batak village, and there are many opportunities to learn about the local culture, such as visiting a museum or attending a cultural performance.
- Go hiking or trekking. There are several hiking trails in the surrounding area, offering stunning views of the countryside.
- Go shopping for souvenirs. There are many shops in Tarutung selling traditional Batak souvenirs, such as ulos (woven textiles) and woodcarvings.
- Enjoy the local cuisine. Tarutung is home to a variety of delicious food, such as rendang (beef curry) and mie gomak (spicy noodle soup).
- Take a cooking class to learn how to make traditional Batak dishes. This is a great way to learn about the local cuisine and have some fun at the same time.
What to Expect
Tarutung is a small city, so it is easy to get around on foot or by motorbike. There are a few hotels and homestays in Tarutung, but it is a good idea to book your accommodation in advance, especially if you are traveling during the peak season.
Here are some additional tips that you may find helpful:
- Be respectful of the local culture and do not litter.
- Learn some basic Batak phrases before you go. This will help you communicate with the locals and show that you are interested in their culture.
- Enjoy your time! Tarutung is a beautiful city with a lot to offer. Relax and enjoy your visit.
Next point of interest: