Spend a day at Bukit Lawang where you can meet and feed orangutans. The animals are among the list of wild fauna that lives in the Gunung Leuser National Park, a UNESCO-listed rainforest in Sumatra. About 130 species of mammals live in this park. They include Sumatran orangutans, gibbons, long-tailed monkeys, macaws, kedihs (Presbytis thomasi), leopards, sun bears, Sumatran tigers, Sumatran elephants, Sumatran rhinoceros, and sambar deer (Cervus unicolor). About 325 species of birds also live there. The park also includes mangrove forest, beach and swamp forest, lowland rainforest, moss forest, and sub-alpine forest. There are also rare and distinctive plants such as Rhizanthes zippelnii which, with its diameter of up to 1.5 meters (50 ft), is the largest flower. Highlights:
- 4-hour Sumatra Orangutan trek from Bukit Lawang
- Small-group tour ensures a personalized experience
- Day-time trek to see and feed orangutans
- Comfortable level trek: no experience necessary
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
- Adults/children: US$ 73/person
- All taxes and handling charges
- Hotel pickup and drop-off at Bukit Lawang
- Local transportation
- Entrance tickets
- Snacks and bottled water during the tour
- Licensed guide (English speaking) during trekking
- Driver/guide expenses
- Airfare and visa
- Travel insurance
- Meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner)
- Driver/guide tips
- Personal expenses
- Handycam/camera fees
- Services not mentioned as being included
- Airport pickup and drop off at US$ 110/vehicle (one-way)
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers. Minimum order is 2 pax.
- A signifficant amount of walking is involved
- This trip is not for those with walking disabilities
- Passport name, number, expiry, and country are required for all participants at the time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- There may be other participants in the tour (to make up a small group)
We will refund your payment that we have received in full (100%) if you cancel your order at least seven days in advance of scheduled arrival, 50% if you cancel it between three dan seven days. There is no refund if you cancel it less than three days before the arrival. Note that payments by credit cards are subject to charges, a portion which may be non-refundable.
We will provide the name and contact details of the operator in the email confirmation.
- Pick up from your Bukit Lawang guest house or other central location as agreed with your guide
- Departure time:
- Morning trek departs at 8:30 am
- Afternoon trek leaves at 1 pm
Return to your guest house or other agreed central location at Bukit Lawang at the end of your trek.
Your adventure begins with the pick-up from your Bukit Lawang hotel or guesthouse at either 8.30 am or 1 pm (depending on tour option chosen). Soak up the scenery as you climb the mountains of the Gunung Leuser National Park, then set out on a trek into the heart of the jungle.
Along the way, learn more about the UNESCO-listed rainforest, which spans an incredible 800,000 hectares (1,976,843 acres) and is home to some of Indonesia’s rarest wildlife. Follow your guide along the jungle trails, past twisting lianas, and giant palms, look out for macaques, gibbons and Thomas leaf monkeys. You might even be lucky enough to hear or see the elusive Sumatran peacock or monitor lizard.
Of course, the most sought-after sighting is the orangutan, and the park is one of only two remaining habitats in Sumatra. The Orangutan Feeding Station is the best place to spot the magnificent creatures, and you’ll have plenty of opportunities to spot wild and semi-wild orangutans, take photos and learn more about preservation efforts.
After around 4 hours of hiking (depending on your group’s speed and fitness level), including a break to snack on some fresh fruit, return to the village, where your tour ends with drop-off at your hotel.