Spend two days and a night at Bukit Lawang, home to endangered Sumatran orangutans. They are on the list of wild fauna that lives in the Gunung Leuser National Park, a UNESCO-listed rainforest in Sumatra. About 130 other species of mammals live in this park, too. They include gibbons, long-tailed monkeys, macaws, kedihs (Presbytis thomasi), leopards, sun bears, Sumatran tigers, Sumatran elephants, Sumatran rhinoceros, and sambar deer (Cervus unicolor). About 325 species of birds also live there. The park also includes mangrove forest, beach and swamp forest, lowland rainforest, moss forest, and sub-alpine forest. There are also rare and distinctive plants such as Rhizanthes zippelnii which, with its diameter of up to 1.5 meters (50 ft), is the largest flower. Highlights:
- Day-time trek to see and feed orangutans
- Small-group tour ensures a personalized experience
- Comfortable level trek: no experience necessary
- Great-value tour includes hotel pick-up and round-trip transport
- Adults/children: US$ 185/person
- All taxes and handling charges
- Airport pick up/drop off
- Local transportation (air-conditioned vehicle)
- Accommodation with breakfast
- Entrance tickets
- Camera fees (1 camera per person)
- Snacks and bottled water in the car during the trip
- Licensed guide (English speaking) during trekking
- Driver/guide expenses
- Stops for sightseeing at your request during tours
- 30 minutes of local calling (5 minutes international) on a loaned mobile phone
- Alternatively, an Indonesian SIM card for your unlocked mobile device
- Free Wi-Fi onboard vehicles
- Porter to carry your luggage from airport to the accommodation
- 24-hour emergency contact number
- Airfare and visa
- Travel insurance
- Lunch and dinner (easy to order)
- Driver/guide tips
- Personal expenses
- Services not mentioned as being included
- Handycam/video camera license (US$12 for each entry, payable directly to the National Park officials, subject to change without any prior notice)
- Adult pricing applies to all travelers
- Accommodation included is Sumatran standard guesthouses with western toilet and either shower or traditional wash with bucket and scoop, hot water available at certain times of the day.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Due to uneven surfaces, this trip is not for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Passport name, number, expiry, and country are required for all participants at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- There may be other participants in the tour (to make up a small group)
We will refund your payment that we have received in full (100%) if you cancel your order at least seven days in advance of scheduled departure, 50% if you cancel it between three dan seven days. There is no refund if you cancel it less than three days before the departure. Note that payments by credit cards are subject to charges, and a portion of the fees may be non-refundable.
We will provide the name and contact details of the operator in the email confirmation.
Our driver will pick you up at the Kualanamu International airport or your accommodation in Medan.
Our driver will drop you off at the airport or hotel in Medan.
Day 1: Medan - Bukit Lawang
Hop on a private car at the airport or your hotel in Medan. The driver will drive you to Bukit Lawang. On the way, stop at several palm oil and rubber plantations to enjoy the scenery of lush Sumatra. Upon arrival at Bukit Lawang, check in to the hotel and then walk to the jungle to start the forest trekking with a licensed guide. Explore the nature of Leuser National park with their flora and fauna. Meet and feed orangutans is a must. See other fauna in their habitat as well, such as Thomas leaf monkeys, long tail macaques, gibbons, and black gibbons. There are also various species of flora in the tropical rainforest. The trekking will take about 3-4 hours depending on your speed. Then return to the hotel. In the afternoon, you will have free time at Bukit Lawang, where you can also walk to the village around the hotel.
Day 2: Bukit Lawang - Medan (B)
After breakfast, drive back to Medan. Upon the arrival in Medan, you may transfer directly to the Kualanamu airport or stay at your hotel there. You have enjoyed one of the most fascinating destinations in Sumatra.