Asahan River is the main outflow of Lake Toba and a famous location of international rafting activities. The flow reaches 120 cubic meters (4,238 cubic ft) per second. The river complex characteristics and swift currents have made it qualified for world-class rafting. The river is a regular venue for international rafting events such as the Asahan Whitewater Festival (AWF). Highlights:
This tour is not for the fainthearted. Our most intense rafting tour, this is recommended only for experienced rafters.
Adults only: US$ 330/person
- All taxes and handling charges
- two nights of accommodation at a homestay
- Hotel/airport pickup and drop-off
- Rental equipment (helmet, paddle, life jacket)
- Local transportation (air-conditioned vehicles)
- Entrance tickets
- Snacks and bottled water in the car during the trip
- Bottled water before rafting departures
- River guide (speaking some English)
- Driver/guide expenses
- Stops for sightseeing at your request during tours
- 30 minutes of local calling (5 minutes international) on a loaned mobile phone
- Alternatively, an Indonesian SIM card for your unlocked mobile device
- Free Wi-Fi onboard vehicles
- Airfare and visa
- Travel insurance
- Driver/guide tips
- Meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) – we will arrange only
- Personal expenses
- Items specified under “What to bring”
- Services not mentioned as being included
What to bring:
- A small backpack with a change of clothes
- small towel, medicines
- camera + spare battery + memory card (in a waterproof bag)
- insect repellent
- plastic bag (to put wet clothes in)
- We will send email confirmation within 24 hours of your order
- The tour activity is meant to be social. Other participants may join your trip.
- If you require a pick up at the airport, please note your flight must arrive before 9 am.
- Accommodation included is homestay (bathroom with traditional bucket and scoop, hot water not available)
- Rafting experience required
- This tour is not for those with heart problems or pregnancy
- Passport name, number, expiry, and country are required for all participants at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Minimum numbers apply. There is a possibility of cancellation after confirmation if there are not enough passengers to meet requirements. In such event, we will offer you an alternative or full refund.
We will refund your payment that we have received in full (100%) if you cancel your order at least seven days in advance of scheduled departure, 50% if you cancel it between three dan seven days. There is no refund if you cancel it less than three days before the departure. Note that payments by credit cards are subject to charges, and a portion of the fees may be non-refundable.
We will provide the name and contact details of the operator in the email confirmation.
We will pick you up at the airport or your accommodation in Medan or Siborong-borong. You can fly to Kualanamu International Airport (10 hours to the rafting location) or Silangit International Airport (3 hours).
We will drop you off at the airport or hotel in Medan or Siborong-borong. If you travel home on day 3, book your return flight for departure in the evening.
Day 1-Transfer to Asahan
At 8.30 am, our driver will collect you from the airport or your accommodation, and you will spend the day traveling by air-conditioned car to Asahan. The journey usually takes around 10 hours from Medan (or 3 hours from Siborong-borong) as you will stop for breaks and lunch. On arrival, you will check in at your homestay where you will have spare time to relax and explore before starting your adventure on the river the following day.
Day 2-Rafting Asahan Bottom Line
After breakfast, start your big day on the river at Parhitean Village, a 1-hour 30-minute drive from your homestay. After your team has prepared the raft and equipment, an instructor will give you a full safety demonstration and instruction, before being driven to the start of your rafting adventure. Experience 2 -3 hours of whitewater rafting with our professional guide and teams, paddling through challenging waves as you cross Batu Mamak rapid, and more natural waves at Bedeng, passing beautiful waterfalls along the way. Enjoy lunch together with your guide and teams on the riverbank of the first camp. After you’ve finished your trip, you will be driven back to Parhitean Village to your homestay where you will have time to relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery.
Day 3-Rafting Asahan Upper Line
After breakfast, we will take you to the upper course of the Asahan river (the International Competition Line). After your team has prepared the raft and equipment, the instructor will brief you with a further safety instruction. You will then start your real adventure and feel the power of the river as you raft for around 1 hour to cover 3 kilometers (2 mi) of extreme rapids. They are the famous Rizal Nurdin, Sucking Hole, Tiger Shark, Big Bend, Simatupang 1, Simatupang 2, Zivanna, and Hula Huli rapids. Finish your adventure at Simatupang Camp, where you will enjoy lunch before going back to your accommodation/airport in Medan.