This diverse Bukit Lawang and Lake Toba tour will take you from busy city life to the dense jungle and Lake Toba. You trek in the forest of Mount Leuser Park where you can see orangutans in their natural habitat. Afterwards, you descend towards the river, raft back to Bukit Lawang and continue to Lake Toba. You have plenty of time to relax before you end this excellent 7-day excursion. Highlights:
- Adults: US$ 680/person
- Children: US$ 590/person (aged 5-10 years)
- All taxes and handling charges
- Accommodations (3-star or equivalent on Lake Toba; lodge and tent at Bukit Lawang)
- Hotel/airport pickup and drop-off
- Local transportation (air-conditioned vehicles)
- Entrance tickets
- Meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) included in the itinerary
- Meals, water, and fruit during the jungle trek
- Snacks and bottled water in the car during the trip
- Ferry passes to and from Samosir island
- Local guide (English speaking)
- Driver/guide expenses
- Camera tax (one unit per person)
- Rafting: crew, boat, and rafting equipment
- An Indonesian SIM card for your unlocked mobile device
- Free Wi-Fi onboard vehicles
- Porter to carry your luggage from airport to the accommodation
- 24-hour emergency contact number
- Airfare and visa
- Travel insurance
- Driver/guide tips
- Personal expenses (minibar, alcoholic beverages, etc.)
- Services not mentioned as being included
- We will send email confirmation within 24 hours of your order
- Child rate applies when sharing with two paying adults only
- An adult must accompany children
- It is a private tour with a minimum of 2 participants
- If you require a pick up at the airport, please note your flight must arrive before 9 am
- At Bukit Lawang, the accommodation included is Sumatran standard guesthouses with western toilet and either shower or traditional wash with bucket and scoop, hot water available at certain times of the day.
- A moderate amount of walking is involved
- Due to uneven surfaces, this trip is not for those with walking disabilities or using a wheelchair
- Passport name, number, expiry, and country are required for all participants at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- What to bring :
- Insect repellent
We will refund your payment that we have received in full (100%) if you cancel your order at least seven days in advance of scheduled departure, 50% if you cancel it between three dan seven days. There is no refund if you cancel it less than three days before the departure. Note that payments by credit cards are subject to charges, and a portion of the fees may be non-refundable.
We will provide the name and contact details of the operator in the email confirmation.
We will pick you up at the airport or your accommodation in Medan. If you arrive on the same day of the tour, make sure you book your flight to Kualanamu International Airport in Medan.
We will drop you off at the Kualanamu International airport or your hotel in Medan, or Silangit International Airport at Siborong-borong. You can book your return flight from any of these airports.
Day 1: Medan – Bukit Lawang
- Upon arrival in Medan, you will meet your guide and transfer to Bukit Lawang.
- In Bukit Lawang, you check in at an eco-lodge. The rest of the day is free for leisure.
- Overnight stay is at the lodge.
Day 2: Jungle trek
- After breakfast, you visit the Bahorok orangutan feeding platform. The platform is only a small part of the 1,094 square kilometers of Gunung Leuser National Park.
- Afterwards, you go on a 6-hour jungle hike to spot wildlife, while your guide explains you everything about Sumatra’s fauna and flora.
- In the afternoon, you look for a suitable campsite to set up your tents.
- You have to follow a strict code of non-contact with the orangutans. Getting too close to an orangutan increases the risk of passing on diseases and viral infections, which jeopardizes the semi-wild orangutan’s chances of survival and in turn the health and survival of the wild orangutan population in this area. You are asked to keep a distance of at least 10 meters and to move away if an orangutan approaches. Also, remember not to leave any food or waste behind.
- Overnight stay is in a tent in the jungle.
Day 3: Rafting
- In the morning, you prepare for the rafting trip back to Bukit Lawang. This refreshing boat trip down Bohorok River is under the supervision of experienced guides.
- Surrounded by jungle on both sides, it is likely you spot large family troupes of long-tail Macau monkeys having fun on the riverbanks.
- You arrive in Bukit Lawang in the late afternoon, for a well-deserved shower and some much-needed refreshments.
- You spend the night in the eco-lodge in Bukit Lawang.
Day 4: Bukit Lawang – Lake Toba
- After breakfast, you go on an 8-hour drive to Lake Toba.
- You cross Lake Toba to Samosir Island, where you spend the night in Tuktuk.
Day 5: Simanindo
- Today you explore the village of Simanindo, experience a Batak traditional dance performance and visit the Huta Bolon Simanindo Museum.
- Afterwards, you travel to Buhit to see how they make the traditional Batak sarong.
- In the afternoon, you visit the king’s residence in Ambarita before returning to the hotel.
Day 6: Lake Toba
- Enjoy a relaxing holiday in and around Lake Toba. Car and driver are available for your use.
Day 7: Lake Toba – Airport
- After breakfast, you depart for the 6-hour journey to Medan to catch the plane at Kualanamu International Airport (or 2 hours to Sillangit International Airport, depending on your flight option).